Wednesday 14 January 2009

The Ancient city of Anu


The great Stupa from afar

Anuradhapura, affectionately (or conveniently) referred to as "Anu" in the book "The Winds of Sinhala" by Colin De Silva is one of my favourite places on earth, as is the book a favourite book of all time of mine.

If you haven't read "The Winds of Sinhala" already........!?! What the hell have you been doing all this time???!!@!#!#


Ruwenweli Dagoba
Anuradhapura doesn't possess the cool climate of the hill country nor its natural beauty, yet there's some magical force that continues to mesmerize the visitor.

"Eth Pokuna"
A hub for the water channel-tank network in ancient Anu, with underground water tunnels running in and out to tanks many kilometers away, ensuring flow control and minimising waste.

Isurumuniya


Tissa Wewa


The Citadel Sigiriya, "Lions Rock"
Sitting there looking pretty
David Attenborough once narrated the complex social structure and behavioural patterns of these fellows in Anuradhapura/ Pollonnaru areas
View from atop Dambulla temple

6 comments:

Amila Salgado said...

Nice pictures. You reminded me that I should visit Ath-pokuna next time I visit there. It holds a decent dragonfly diversity.

Ineshka said...

I totally agree with you Sas... Anuradhapura is my favourite place too and you know what I love the most? Sitting around the Ruwanwali dagoba at night... I tell you, there is some magic there :)) And yes, "Winds of Sinhala" is an awesome awesome book... LOVE IT!! But, have you been able to get your hands on the other three?

GG said...

Thanks Amila,
hehe, I didn't notice any dragonflies around there though, maybe because I wasn't looking for any.


Hi Ineshka,
You are soo right! that's my favourite too! I can just sit there for hours. The pinnacle of the dagabo looks beautiful once the lights come on.

And what other three? Didn't know there was more.

Ineshka said...

Yeah darling... there are three others, about 3 other kings... one is "The Lions of Sinhala", something and "the Last Sinhala Kings" or something like that... apparently I havent been able to find these :( Let me know if you do.. I heard a rumour that they were available at the Dehiwela Public Library...

GG said...

Thanks for the tip Ineshka, From what I found they are out of print, but found some used ones at Amazon.com, so ordered one of them "The founts of Sinhala". Will check the condition of it and see about getting the others also.
I can lend it to you once you come to Melbourne :D
hehe

dev wijewardane said...

i like the shot of Ruwanwliseya. the silhouette of the tree adds a lot to it.