Friday 31 October 2008

Random Memories

The incident happened many many moons ago......in Sri Lanka at home. We were wrapping up an ordinary day, past 9 o'clock in the night I think...... When our Bindu started barking somewhere in the garden. It was a bark with a certain alarm to it, as if saying "I'm not too sure what this thing is but I need to get some one's attention here!!!"

Now Bindu has always been a garden dog as he was never granted visa to enter the house by his superior, Bingo. So one would expect him to know his territory well, and he's not the kind of dog who barks at just about anything, so naturally this got us worried.

So torch in hand we approached the suspicious scene cautiously. The sight of 'back-up' sent Bindu into a frenzy! and he started jumping around this suspicious object and then looking towards us for an explanation.

Upon closer inspection the black rounded heap on the ground, turned out to be a tortoise with its head inside its shell!
Naturally we bursted out laughing! which seem to add to Bindu's confusion.
It wasn't the first time that we found a lonely wandering tortoise in the garden, but it has certainly never happened in Bindu's lifetime.

My father told us what they used to do (back in the good old days) when they found a tortoise like that. Light a candle and erect it on its shell, and send it on its way!

This was all good fun but somehow Bindu didn't seem to be convinced, so he decided to continue with his woofing and waffing. What with the tortoise going nowhere fast, we decided to lock Bindu up in a room, unknown to Bingo that is! ah the drama!.

And that's how we managed to get some sleep that night.

5 comments:

Amila Salgado said...

Nice story, Sasani.
I haven't had any toroise visitors in my garden yet - but I don't rule out that possibility.

Amila Salgado said...

Interesting story.
Sounds like your garden was pretty rich in life.

I am in the middle of making a pond and I hope to keep it natural free from introductions to see what life forms may colonize it...

GG said...

Thanks Gallicissa,
Good luck with the pond, I hope it's not too close to the house or else you won't be able to sleep at night once it's colonized by loud toads that keep croaking all night!!!!

We used to play games when they invaded our indoor courtyard with the fish pond. They would stay silent till we turned off all lights and went to bed and then start a chorus of croaks! So we would get out of bed cursing and come down to see if we can spot them and throw them out.

Amila Salgado said...

I notice I had commented twice as I was unsure whether my first comment went through!
Sorry, ma'am!

My pond is being built at the backyard in a spot far enough so that such disturbance would not be a problem for us or our neighbours for that matter!

So hopefully, there will be no such worries.

pissu perera said...

my mum used to have a pet tortoise, yonks ago. that fellow was also found wandering along and adopted. i think she gave the fellow away after she got married and moved.