Thursday 21 December 2006

Unexpected lunch

The school of chemistry and physics had a x'mas dinner party last evening. Even though Vishuddhi insisted that I stay, I felt bad about him staying in the library till I finish up, so I decided not to stay. The party was only for the school students and staff so family members were not allowed. Anyway, this morning it turned out that there were a lot of food left over from that party. So we all got a mail from the front office with an invitation to 'dig-in' during lunch.

So I also helped myself, inspite of the fact that I brought lunch from home, oh well, that can wait. and the food was delicious!!! wow! it was really amazing! and it's not very frequently that you get to have a good meal without the hassle of having to cook and wash-up after! so that was good!

Well, cooking is fun, but not always. Specially when the thing that you are cooking doesn't turn up the way you want it to or when you have to do it in a rush (early morning before leaving home) or when you have to do it after coming home from work. But if I'm at home with plenty of time to spare, I just love to try out recipes.

Back home in Sri Lanka I used to try out a lot of dessert recipes. Even if my pudding turned out to be something close to a cake, it never went to waste, there were enough and more people who were willing to give a helping mouth! (specially my brother and father!) So I could try out anything and get away with it. No complaints! But here, it's only me and my husband, if something goes wrong we have to gulp it down somehow, not very pleasant, and anyway no time for all that.

No comments: