Wednesday 20 December 2006

Research!

I was hoping to continue this blogging work frequently as I can, but I guess I missed out on a whole week after my first blog, well, at least I'm trying.

It's not easy to sit in front of the computer and type while I'm in University. It makes it look like I'm fooling around and not getting any work done! on the other hand when I get home I'm too tired and got the household work to take care of like cooking and cleaning up after. So then again no time. So maybe I should just try to squeeze in a few minutes of "blogging" into my research time table from now on.

I'm waiting for my lab to be set up to start my experiments, but it seems that it's not going to come along as fast as I hoped it would. My supervisor and the lab warden seems to be having different opinions about the setting up of the optical table for my work. Well, basically the problem is a new optical table (which is a special kind of table made out of steel and mounted on legs which isolate the table top from the ground vibrations) is fairly large. And once put up, it will be too high for me to reach out over the table to work on, since I'm not really the tallest person around here. So as a solution the lab warden wants to cut down the legs and make it shorter (which is not going to be easy, but would be the best solution) but my supervisor wants to put up some platform for me to stand on (hmm.... I'm not really sure how he is hoping to do that) so it seems that the setting up of the lab is going to take some time.

It's funny how things come up when u want to do something. You think that, ok I'm going to do this, should be fairly straight forward and should be able to finish it by tomorrow, but when u actually get down to doing it, there's always something in the way! so once u get around that problem and get around the next problem and so on, your time estimate seems pointless! One could account for the unexpected problems in setting up a time frame, but in doing research it seems that the time allowance for unexpected happenings are much much higher than the actual work time. (No wonder I keep hearing loud groans from the other labs every now and then)

well, least I could do is prepare for the work that I have to do once the lab is set up. So these days I'm studying the methods and techniques needed to do the experiments, so once the lab is done, I can spend more time doing the experiments and less time trying to figure out how to do them.

No comments: