Wednesday 16 July 2008

Spam News

I'm doing some experiments today and taking some measurements. In between each set of measurements I have to keep an interval of about an hour for the machine to cool down before I take the next set of readings. I need to take about 5 sets of readings which means it's going to take 5+ hours of the day, and in between those readings what do I do?

First hour or two I managed to finish off tit-bits of other unfinished work, play a game of sudoku, arrange my desktop folders etc. Then I opened my junk mail folder to sort through the junk and to see if some non-junk mail has been wrongly accused by the mail authorities. Fortunately there wasn't any, however one mail title caught my eye

"Afghan bomber kills Bush"
This sudden suppressed laugh/murmer escaped me. Seems the spammers are being creative nowadays. They are probably begining to realize that the old fashioned 'remedies for bodily defects', 'designer wear at low prices', 'free tickets to watch Oprah', 'Winning a lottery ticket in some remote land' and of course 'the death of an unknown relative who left you a million dollars' is now a bit too known to their victims.

So they are coming up with new ideas to get those people to click! And of course who can resist "Afghan bomber kills Bush" I have to give credit to those spammies, that title looks very tempting!

3 comments:

Amila Salgado said...

Spammers are getting creative these days. And that's a good example.

Did you change the background colours of your blog?

I got in and then start wondering whether i have reached the wrong one...!

Hope those experiments are fun!

GG said...

Yeah sorry about this change in templates. I was experimenting, tried to put in a template that's not available on regular blogger, but turned out that it's not compatible. So had to revert back to the old template only to find that there's a misalignment that I couldn't fix. So had to change the template to one that works.

There might be some more changes in the near future!

Amila Salgado said...

No worries. White is my background colour too and I like it. It interferes less with the things that you end up adding to the layout time to time and also helps the images to pop out better.

Look forward to seeing your blog after 'house-keeping'.